10 February 2021
- Port Klang’s concerted efforts to transform the port industry towards adapting new practices which are environmentally sustainable has once again earned international recognition. Recently Port Klang has awarded the APSN (APEC Port Services Network) Green Port 2020 unification for the second time since 2017.
- The Beijing based APEC Port Services Network (APSN) was established under the auspices of the APEC on May 18, 2008 to foster and promote greater collaboration in maritime activities among members of the economic bloc.
- Among the roles of the APSN is to promote economically and environmentally sustainable ports by strengthening cooperation, developing best practices and guidelines, enhancing supply chain effectiveness, building capacity and stimulating information and personnel exchange among port and port-related industries and services in the Asia Pacific region with the goal of the liberalization and facilitation of trade and investment to achieve common prosperity of the APEC member economies.
- The GPAS (Green Port Award System) program is a green evaluation system for ports in the APEC region developed by APEC Port Services Network (APSN). It represents an integral part of APSN’s ongoing efforts to promote the green growth of the APEC port industry. The Award is handed out to deserving ports within the Asia Pacific Region.
- This achievement was made possible through the efforts of Port Klang Authority and both its terminal operators Northport (Malaysia) Bhd and Westports Malaysia Berhad whereby various green initiative programs were initiated and implemented related to alternate energy viz solar energy, conservation, including replacement of conventional lighting with LED lighting, investing in more energy-efficient and environmentally friendly cargo handling fleets, monitoring carbon, emissions from port equipment and vehicles, marine water quality monitoring and treatment before being released into port waters, paperless transaction, establishing waste management standard operating procedures and other ongoing green initiatives.
- Port Klang aims to be Malaysia’s premier maritime hub leveraging as sustainable port development inline with the National Transport Policy . The Port Authority will continue to work closely with Northport, Westports and other stakeholders to ensure that the environment surrounding our ports is protected and preserved for the future generations to come.
- PKA would like to thank Northport, Westports and all key stakeholders who contributed immensely towards this Green Port Award and we look forward to continuing the winning partnership in keeping our ports green and clean.